Wednesday, October 1, 2014

About swimming pools and peace.

Day 2,Wednesday: Hossegor to Sabres, 97,7 km.
What’s new: I still don't feel any pain in my butt. This lotion is awesome! ;)
Heroes of the day: The old man in his little workshop who fixed my bike for free and his
wife who gave me water. Also: Isabelle (see blog text).

Soundtrack (listen to this while you read this post): O.A.R. - Peace





What do you
think when you wake up and you see your bike through the window and you have
1200 km to go?

 
Here is what I thought:
Screw this bike ride, I'll stay at the swimming pool all day! ;)

 
But when a
few hours later, I found myself flying through the most beautiful French
forest, on today’s 47th kilometer, I rememberd: This is pretty cool!
I love this!

I see such
beautiful places, I can’t even process them. Even though I have so much time on
my bike, my head spins in this majestic nature. I rode through a reservoir
today (if you google my route of today, you see, it’s all green around me).
When I ate my Quiche Lorraine at a beautiful spot, I was blown away by how
quiet and lovely and peaceful this place of the world is.

And it made
me think of all these people on this world who are in the midst of war and
persecution right now. While I hear happy birds, they hear bombs. I thank God
for the peace I get to experience. But my heart breaks for all those who only
know the feeling of fear this year.


Even though
I (and probably most of the people who read this) don’t have an actual war
raging around me, I still don’t always feel peaceful. Too many times I
struggle, I am scared, I am preoccoupied with my thoughts, running for my life
insde.


 “What’s peace for me?” I thought. “Simply not having to fight ? The
absence of fights around me (social life, Uni burecraucy, expectations of others)
and inside me (regrets, fears, impatience)? Does peace for me mean: Not having
to worry?”

No, that
can’t be. If I only can be at peace when everything is fine, I will never be
peaceful – neither on this ride, nor ever in life.
 


Because there is a lot to worry about in life. A lot of stuff can go wrong. 

And also, arent there always moments of
peacefulness in the midst of “not-knowing”? Just like today. I felt pretty chill the
whole time even though I didn’t know for quite awhile where I would sleep tonight. "Why do I feel so peaceful? Because of the beatuy around me?" I wondered. And then I realized: I felt peaceful, in this very moment, not only because I am not in a war zone, but
because I trusted. I trusted that I will have a great place to sleep.
Maybe I could trust, because Regi and I had prayed for it this morning. Maybe, because I didn't have another choice. One thing is for sure: Trusting makes me feel peaceful, trusting
in the one who knows. 


(I don’t know how that is supposed to look like in the middle of an actual war, though...)

So - where did I end up?



 

During lunch, I found Isabelle on AirBnb, who lives in the little village Sabres. 

Aine, my Irish colleague at the hostel, and I picked this village a few weeks ago as my second destination.

I wrote to Isabelle and then took a little 20-minute-nap. When I woke up, she had already answered: The room
she offers on airbnb was not free – but she suggested to have me in her
house. How cool is that?


Now I am in the cutest little house in a tiny village in France, with a full stomach (got to join
the family dinner). I ate two full plates because Johannes said: Eat, eat eat! 

 

Psalm 85, 9
(opened up my bible my first stop on the first day and read this verse)

    8I will hear what God the LORD will say;

           For He
will speak peace to His people,
to His godly ones;

           But let
them not turn back to folly.

      9Surely His salvation is near to
those who fear Him,

           That
glory may dwell in our land.

      10Lovingkindness and truth have met
together;

           Righteousness
and peace have kissed each other.

      11Truth springs from the earth,

           And
righteousness looks down from heaven.

      12Indeed, the LORD will give what is good,

           And our
land will yield its produce.

      13Righteousness will go before Him

           And
will make His footsteps into a way.




Saw this paddock with animals today.

There were horses, goats, sheep, chicken, all in the same paddock.

Rare sight, so many different animals in one area. Peace out!


A glimpse of the amazing little farms I get to see the whole time.


(Don't want to miss a post? Go subscribe with your e-mail on the bottom of this page, right side)










No comments:

Post a Comment