Thursday, October 2, 2014

"J'ai besoin d'aide" means I need help



Day 3, Thursday: 119 km. Sabre to je-ne-sais-pas (close to Cadiallc), with a huge detour.
What’s new: My right knee hurts.
Heros of the day: Isabelle again for finding Alaine & Andrea for me, who I never ended up staying with, because Phillipe and his wife had to save me.
Soundtrack (listen to this while you read my post): Boy - Drive

I got terriby lost in a forest today around noon and when I pushed my bike through a sandy road, I though that this is what I am going to write about today: “Don’t build your house on the sandy land and don’t bike on sandy streets with heavy bags on your bike.” Little did I know that this day would get much worse.

Isabelle, my lovely beautiful host from last night, had organised a place for me to sleep close to Pellegrue. After lunch, around 3 pm, when I realized I still had to go 75 kilometers to get there due to my unfortunate morning, I decided: “I still can do this” and started pedalling. When I called the family 2 hours later, it was only 40 kilometers more to go.

But my GPS wanted to show me around this amazing area. For some reason, it took me around a beautiful wine street and I got to see vineyards and farms. But after 2,5 hours of going crazy on my bike, I still was (according to Google Maps) 40 kilometers away from where I wanted to sleep. I really don’t know how that happened. Will unpack the mannual tonight and read it.

Again, I decided: I can do this. Somehow. I have no choice.
I didn’t really have time to whine about it, I had to keep going. I wish I would work in real live like this. Too often, I find myself regretting, pondering and reconsidering stuff that can’t be reconsidered. Not so today. No time to be mad at the GPS, I just had to keep going.

But then suddenly it was 7:50 pm, I had already gone 110 kilometers today – and I still was not closer to where I wanted to go.
If it was for me, I probably would have kept going and going and going until I arrived at the house of Andrea and Alaine, the nice couple who agreed to host me. Just because I wanted to meet them and I was so excited to have a place to sleep. But I had also made a promise to my dad: No biking when it’s dark. And I was going to keep this promise. So I finally stopped when the sun started to set and it hit me: I need help.
I saw a family in a house – the window was open and they were cooking and they looked nice. I took a deep breath, took a step toward their door – and turned around again because I realized that if I had to talk now, I might start to cry. Breathe.
Okay, here I go. “J’ai besoin d’aide” I said.

I write this post in my own little room in their house, where Phillipe et la madame de masion have invited me into. I had bread, paté, and a yummi egg-bacon-tomato-onion ragout for dinner, and yoghurt and chesse.  
And now I will go to sleep. And try to forget that everyone seems so worried about the hilly area that is coming up.

Merci, merci, mercia à Alaine + Andrea who would (nearly) have hosted me. Je suis trés désolée que je n’ai jamais arivée! Calling you to tell you I wouldn’t come was sad, but you built me up so nicley on the phone even though you have never met me. France, je t’aime!
And then – merci beaucuop à cette famille. Merci, Sebastien, pour les cartes. Vous êtes trop gentils ! I am sooo thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment