Friday, October 3, 2014

Every hill can be a mountain



beautiful vineyareds. can't be mad at them even though they are hilly.


Day 4,
Friday:
125 km, Mourons (close to Cadillac) to Périgueux.
What’s new:I think I might have hit the 1000-km-to-go mark. “Only” 980 to go!
Hero of the day: The old grandma who waved to me in Douzillvac. You made my day!
Soundtrack: Gareth Logan – My bike trip song. Thank you Gareth!!! Happy birthday!


You know how I wrote about these beautiful vineyards yesterday that showed up towards
the end of the day?


When I woke up this morning I realized that this would mean for today: hills hills hills. For some reason, I was really motivated. I am suprised myself because I went to bed feeling pretty desperate: “It’s still such a long way! I can’t believe I am doing this! Uni starts in 10 days, I am too slow, and this sucks.”

While falling asleep, I felt like I’ve had enough. But over night, I appearently made
the decision that I will keep trying.



"God loves a trier" - Coffee mug at Regi's house, first night. (God loves everyone).


And there I was again, cruising up and down the hills having the time of my life! Oh, what a blast I had.


Sadly, all the speed I get from going down isn’t of long help when it goes up again. The thing is: Every hill becomaes a huge mountain if you have lots of luggage.


I am actually thinking about picking a few things out of my two saddle bags and
sending them home. There are many hills to come.

Downshifiting and minimizing and living with less is super hip right now (I’m a big fan) so you probably all know what I am trying to say: We shouldn’t only try to have less luggagge when biking, but also in live. Hills are hard anyway and so is life. Bringing lots of frustration and anger and grieve with us turns hills into mountains.

I think of a friend who recently said: “I know they all don’t mean it, but every time they say something, I hear it with the already broken heart of mine and that’s why it’s so painful everytime.” Letting go of pain means: Going up a hill without lugage and with more energy.

Sadly, it’s not always as easy as sending a box to my parents.

Tonight, I am staying with Florent and his daughter Laura, who rent out a very cheap room on airbnb. They are super nice and gave me the main bed room. Terribly missing my wonderful bed at home, though. And my clothes. Sometimes I think of random things I own, like my favorite red sweater or my winter boots and I want to go get them right away and wear them.

Yes, I am missing my clothes like crazy.. Also, I need to find a washing maschine tomorrow. Urgently.
Navi 3.0 - wrote down towns I should try to find on my way to know I am right.


Following section is for everyone who likes riddles - I need some
advice.


1. Can someone please let me know why the GPS does take the biggest detours? Like – is
that a thing it needs to do? And does it do direct distance (as the bird flies) or why are the kilometers always so off? I navigated myself today with Google-Maps towns I had written down. Someone, please do research and let me know, it’s a Garmin Edge 800 with a City Navigator – SD Card.
Thank you.


2. Is there a helpful homepage that shows me the elevation of the upcoming route? I can’t
seem to find a good one online.. 


If you have questions, e-mail me: rosarollt@gmail.com
– I will answer reader questions soon
:)  (I heard that’s what bloggers do).





No comments:

Post a Comment