Thursday, October 9, 2014

You are more than just a person with a rain jacket


Day 10, Thursday: 99,98 km, Dijon to Melay.
What’s new: I don’t care what’s new because everything is wet!
Tool of the day: Waterproof saddlebags. At least I still have some dry clothes to wear in bed.
Hero of the day: Lady with bright lipstick.
Soundtrack (listen to this when you read my post): Clueso - Ey der Regen

I crossed three “départments” today and it rained in all three of these.
I was a living sponge: The lady wearing bright lipstick behind the counter of the chocolate store felt so sorry for me, she offered me some free coffee. When I left the little shop, there was a puddle where I had just stood.


She wasn’t the only one who felt bad for me today. Everyone who saw me, stared at me with a mixture of sympathy and confusion. “Who bikes in this rain? This is no fun! Go home, girl!”
I would have. There just wasn’t really a place to go, except of going forward. I was biking on countryside streets and I really didn’t know what to do. If I stop, who tells me the weather will be better tomorrow? Who would let me in their house? Why does Steve not have a roof?

A picture from another day - a day when there was at least a litle bit of light
(and a day my phone still worked...)
Suddenly, it hit me though: This is it, right here, this is part of doing such a trip. 
This biking thing might be one of the biggest things I’ll ever do, and biking all day in the rain belongs to it. I am simply being confronted with the uncomfortable part of my adventure. But I knew before I started this that this would be hard work, and I was also aware of the fact that I can’t control the weather.
(This sounds like I didn’t mind being wet all day. Believe me, I was not happy today and I wanted to stop all day long. I was cold and miserable and “triste”..)

For all these people in their dry cars, I was just a very unfortuntate girl in the rain. All they could see is a lonesome cowboy on a bike, a girl trying to make her way up the hill before she gets washed back down.
But they don’t know about the 10 crazy-adventorous days full of life that lie behind me. They can’t see that there are picutres of nature in my head I will think of when real life will get on my nerves. If they knew that and looked at me again, they would see someone living their dream. Even if it rains.

A rainy day in my normal, every day life (I am not talking about stormy days with hail and thunder.) is a day where I have a huge misunderstanding with a friend, or having to study for three months straight, or being sick.
But all of these rainy life days are part of this one life I get to live. These days occur because I have friends, because I am a student, because I have a body. These sometimes miserable days still get me where I want to go to, they still belong to this one life I was given. This is it, right there. We are right in the middle of it, and even though there might sometimes be a lot of rain (or hills or flat tires), it’s all part of it. Of this adventure called life.

Let me tell you this: It might look like (and feel like) you are the most pitiful person on the road, but don’t forget: You are not only the person in the rain jacket, you have also come from somehwere and you are going somewhere.
(Just make sure you know where you are going. But we will talk about that on this blog tomorrow :))

----- 
This afternoon, I picked this Chateau in Melay to be my reward if I make it this far. I made it – and it’s charming! I have a huuuuuge room with a huuuuge bed, and at dinner, the lady of the house served us amazing homecooked food. Us, that’s four elderly Dutch couples and I. They spoke German, just for me, and I will fall asleep with their darling Dutch accent in my head...

But:
Even though I made it here - my phone didn’t make it. It died in the rain, 3 km before Melay. There is no hope.
It’s bad, it’s really bad. I use it to navigate and to find a place to sleep. I don’t think it has fully hit me yet, but tomorrow will be .. a big challenge. Good thing my French is slowly improving... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment